Sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
— The White Queen, from Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll.
So many random, unrelated, amazing things have happened this week. I’ve been trying to keep a list of them in my head until I got five spare seconds to blog, but you know how good I am at short-term memory. The list, reconstructed as best as possible:
- One early afternoon this week, I was crafting at my desk when I heard several voices belting out “Don’t Stop Believin'” coming from the direction of the street. I rushed to my bedroom window and it appeared to be four teenage boys, walking north as if they were coming from Open High. They all had hoodies on, and one had his arms slung casually around the shoulders of the friends next to him. Two were black and two were white. They laughed as they sang. When the chorus was over, they continued with the verse. They couldn’t have been older than 16. Journey transcends all boundaries.
- I have discovered that laminating things is a passion of mine. On an errand for work, I went to the Kinko’s downtown and a very nice lady showed me how to use the laminating machine. I can’t really put into words how delightful and calming it is to feed the papers through the steady, rumbling, heated machine. You’ll have to try it yourself. Only $1.99 for an 8.5″ x 11″ sheet of paper! I think I may have been put on this earth expressly to be an administrative assistant.
- Almost every day this week, I have randomly heard the song “End of the Road” by Boyz II Men. This is just…awesome.
- Yesterday and today are supposedly the two coldest days of this winter. TBL also just happens to be playing two shows back-to-back on these two nights, and I’ve dubbed this snafu “The Coldest Tour 2009.” Yesterday I was actually available to go with them to an out-of-town show, and it just happened to be in a pizza parlor that had decided not to turn the heat on. FAIL. It ended up being a great show though, despite all the hilarious things about the venue itself, and we even met a guy who reminded us so much of Pickles that we couldn’t get over it. I’m trying to find him on Myspace right now. I wanted to ask him to say “how’deydodat?”
- Last night, Blake won twice in a row at the game where you control the grabber which retrieves a stuffed animal for you. On the first try, he won himself a Pink Panther in biker gear. Afterward, Chet begged him to win the Kung-Fu Panda for him, and he did. There was much rejoicing, and each of the boys had a buddy for napping on the way home.
- My friend Jake Lyell is an amazing photographer, in case you hadn’t heard. Jenny O (F) had a birthday party recently, and I think he perfectly captured how fun it was and how touched she was by her joint gift from everyone. I love when a photo set is so good that it makes you re-live the event in all its splendor.
Okay that’s it for now! I have about a million things to do today and not enough time in which to do them. Come out to Alley Katz tonight!