So this weekend went from classy to trashy and back again. Luckily, every single minute of it was entertaining. Here’s the synopsis.
- The Riot Before / Worn in Red / Pink Razors at Empire. Not too smoky for once in that bar’s life. Pretty much everyone I felt like seeing was there…and all looking extra crisp and lovely because of the 18-degree weather and their rosy cheeks. It was a pleasant kind of crowded, which doesn’t happen very often.
- Work holiday party at Fort Pocahontas. This involved the following:
— a long drive down rt. 5 (my favorite rt.)
— Payne Tyler’s delicious accent as she described where she purchased every piece of furniture in the place, and for how much (I could listen to her talk all day)
— amazing food like brie and almonds, miniature cheesecakes, quiches, and brunswick stew
— plenty of wine
— a solitary walk to the old graveyard
— a brisk golf cart ride back with a venerable old guy, a miniature Tyler, and dogs chasing behind
- Hangouts with the parents. This involved:
— Mom’s new Christmas wreath, done in the Williamsburg style. Fancy.
— shrimp scampi
— the Food Network
— Dad wanting to know all about the Wii
- Tina’s work party for Boar’s Head at the Ramada Inn in Petersburg. This involved:
— Petersburg. Seriously…
— 80s Christmas music videos projected onto a screen
— rubbery, cold crab cake-like things, and giant pieces of fried chicken
— lots of empty tables
— loud cell phone rings
— fake afros
— fake nails
- Ipanema. This involved:
— Corey, Liana, and Tesni
— some girl’s bachelorette party
- Lunch with Corey. This involved:
— Mom’s Siam
— thai iced tea
— noodles and tofu
— the new knowledge that Corey is into paint-by-numbers
- Halcyon and Target with Corey and Maddie. This involved:
— gloves with tiny fingers
— ugly cd cases @ Target
- The couch with Maddie. This involved:
— Mickey’s Christmas Carol
— grapefruit foot soak
- Jamie’s work party for Flagstop Car Wash @ the basement of King’s Korner, the catering place at the Chesterfield Airport (I am not kidding). This involved:
— Crown Royal
— about 100 drunk teenagers
— sweet tarts: Jamie’s girly shooter of choice.
— sordid karaoke to the likes of Godsmack and Shania Twain
— really, really, really bad haircuts
— group 17-year-old drunken karaoke to “Pour Some Sugar on Me”
— barbecue and rice pudding
— dudes taking shots of Ice 101
— I left before the puking in the parking lot, but Jamie said it was fun
Sometimes it’s fun to be an outsider at bizarre events. To just be an observer, a fly on the wall. I learn a lot that way. I think I learn a lot any time I’m out of my normal stomping grounds. It always makes me extra thankful for the life and friends that I have, though.
Aside from all of that running around, I did spend some time with my new Wii. Yes, I finally got one. Special thanks to Nate, Jonathan & co. for delivering it to my house.
It’s amazing. It’s true to its word on all of its claims. Yesterday morning Maddie and Bruce came in while I was playing it, and they immediately picked it up and starting playing. No problem whatsoever. There was laughing and jostling and just an all-around good time. A workout, and interaction with your friends? New things to the world of gaming.
As my impressions start to trickle in, I’ll rave about them here of course.